Brive-la-Gaillarde is a town in south-central France. In the fifth century, the Church of Saint Martin l'Espagnol became a focal point for migrants to the area where the town now stands. Seven hundred years later, a walled commune called Brive was an integral component of the local landscape. The town was still called Brive until after the First World War, when la-Gaillarde, or 'the brave' was added. The town certainly lived up to its name in the Second World War, when it was a centre for the French Resistance Movement. In August 1944, Brive-la-Gaillarde liberated itself, becoming the only town in France to do so. Today, good use is being made of the medieval buildings in the town centre as commercial, retail and entertainment sites. The town has its own railway station with connections to Paris. Enterprise Rent-A-Car has a branch close to the railway station.